Tuesday, March 8, 2016

World Building

I simply cannot get through secrets of cats. I am procrastinating, not just on this but on things in my life that could have serious consequences.

Creating a world is an ambitious goal, I am finding it so daunting that I am avoiding it. I have a brief intro to the world done but it is poorly composed and not very interesting. I will post it here when its a bit more polished.

I have had a week or two with the FATE system in my mind and have come to what I think are good insights. 

First, FATE allows players to help build the world and I have not been making use of this in my planning for my setting. I need to make the world interesting but open enough so the players can say what their town or city is like and who is there. I need my world to be more like a backdrop than a traditional campaign setting.

Second, the rules of FATE are a good deal less the GM's friend than rules of other systems. The rules cannot and should not be used to reign in the PCs. The PCs should abuse and break the rules of the game like they should abuse and break the rules of the game world. The best thing that a GM can do is think of himself as another player not the god of his little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment